Remember To Make Memories At The Table

Remember To Make Memories At The Table

Nonna used To Say...

Got Agita? It's Not What You Eat; It's What Eats You



Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cherry Bliss Fruit Dip

I live in an Active Adult Community where diet is an evil word. There's always an event to attend and most events involve, food. The saving grace is that there are many exercise programs to take advantage of...zumba, aerobics, circuit training, pilates, tennis, men's boot camp & more. The fitness center is more than adequate for a great workout. The community is so lovely and safe that just walking and admiring my surroundings can keep me fit-as-a-fiddle. And it does work!
But I can't let my guard down....no, no, no...because on the other side of the scale is, a monthly Wine Social, Pot Luck Supper, and a cafe that serves tasty meals. Add in the "special" activities like, Mardi Gras, Valentine's Day Dinner/Dance, 50's Night, Lobster Boil to name a few and the pounds pack on. Having 12 close Girl Friends adds up to lots of house parties and dinners out. But I wouldn't trade any of this. Living in Victoria Gardens is my slice of Paradise. Ain't Life Grand!?

I never made a Fruit Dip, maybe because it sounds like something a skinny, health conscious woman might have in her recipe box. The last one I tasted was at our Holiday House Crawl. Maryann served a gooey caramel dip with a variety of fruit slices. So darn good. I was trying to come up with something to bring to the Wine Social. While perusing the refrigerated section of the supermarket, I saw an eye-catching green colored dip. The ingredients were interesting, but the price ridiculously high. I would need about 4 containers and that wasn't happening. Sooooo, I do what I often do....I created it myself. I was happy with the results. Sweet but not overly so, tangy, crunchy yet smooth and refreshing.

The one I brought to the Wine Social had been made with pistachio and green in color. When another Foodie, Loretta, tasted it she liked it lots and suggested I make it for a baby shower we were going to attend. Pink for the baby girl just born. I changed the pistachio to cherry and the apple slices to strawberries. It worked. Hope you enjoy both recipes.

Cherry Bliss Fruit Dip 

8 oz sour cream
4 oz (approx.1/2 of a 7 1/2 oz jar) of Marshmallow Fluff
8 oz can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped fine
1 1/2 teaspoon cherry Jello mix
1/2 to 1 packet of Splenda (blends better than sugar)
In a hand or electric chopper chop the crushed pineapple so it is very fine. Do the same with the walnuts. In a medium size mixing bowl, blend together the sour cream, marshmallow fluff,  & Splenda. Add cherry Jello until you achieve the desired color. I used 1 1/2 teaspoon for a light pink. Mix. Fold in pineapple and nuts. Chill covered until serving.
Wash strawberries at the last minute and serve with fruit dip.
yes, the dip is green
For Pistachio Paradise Fruit Dip: swap cherry Jello mix for pistachio instant pudding. This pudding has bits of pistachio nuts already in it. You can add extra nuts if you desire. All the ingredients remain the same. Great for St. Patrick's Day supper or even green for Christmas! I served this with apple slices. Sorry photo doesn't show the crushed pineapple, but it was included in the final recipe. Re: the Splenda, add amount to your sweet taste.
Remember To Make Memories At The Table
 



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment